Tuesday 20 August 2013

Haiku

I am not about to break into poetry so don't panic.

A number of years back when I first started looking at Unix/Linux I came across several other Operating Systems which I would like to try out, one of these was BeOs (time permitting I may explore some more).

However, BeOs has all but died and was a proprietary OS anyway, but I did come across some people developing an opensource implementation called Haiku

I have downloaded it and installed it in a virtual image under KVM.
I created a 3Gb raw image and have booted from the ISO image using the following command to bring up a 32bit vm and given it 512Mb

qemu-system-i386 -m 512 -boot d -cdrom <image file> -hda haiku.img

I just passed it a raw image, so using the disk utility in the installer I need to create a partition and a location to create as Be File system. Follow the instructions in the installer and it is installed.
Next time when booting up the following command is used

qemu-system-i386 -m 512 -boot c -hda haiku.img