Wednesday 20 November 2013

Wireless Bridging

I have just started a new job and have discovered that while I have an office, I cannot put everything on wireless, especially the new office IP phone I have been given. Therefore, I decided to combine to projects together, flashing of an old Linksys router with dd-wrt and setting up additional networking in my office so I can connect my office phone.
This seemed the simplest option rather than stringing cables all round the place, another good alternative could have been ethernet over powerline adapters, but no technical tweaking involved.

I followed the dd-wrt instructions for installation on my old linksys WRT54G router, making sure to follow all instructions to the letter. When it came to using tftp to install the new firmware on the system after 99 tries it failed, so I went back to an earlier step where in the Management Mode window a custom image created at the beginning of the process is uploaded. This must not have taken first time as the tftp worked first time.
Once dd-wrt was up and installed I had to connect it to my existing wireless AP, this was straight forward in the wireless settings I select client bridge and give it the details of my existing wireless network (ensure things match exactly). I also made sure that SIP firewall was off and no dhcp server was running on the router.
Once changes had been made and rooter rebooted (as necessary), I connected via ethernet cable a laptop and it successfully got a dhcp lease from the main access point and I was able to browse the web.